Ohhh the holidays are fast approaching. Which means more social engagements, unless you’re lucky and don’t have many friends. More social engagements means more delicious food and treats and cocktails. This is when all those magazines and websites start pushing their “strategies” to not gain 50 pounds over the holidays. Well I have a few strategies of my own.
- Run a full marathon. If you run 26.2 miles in one day, you can eat what you want for the entire month. This is known. My run is on the 9th so it doesn’t interfere with Christmas parties.
- Eat a meal before you go decking the halls. Then you can stay away from the food table and get all your calories from drinks instead.
- Don’t eat anything all day if you have a Christmas party that night. Then you can go to town when you get there.
- Challenge fellow party-goers to a dance off. The exercise will cancel out anything you eat or drink. Although you should probably aim for one dance off for every drink.
Now that I’ve given you ways to avoid massive weight gain, I’m going to tempt you with this absolutely amazing dessert. Brown sugar graham cracker crust, decadent cheesecake, layer of thinly sliced apples, an cinnamon oat streusel, all topped with caramel sauce. If your mouth isn’t watering now, get off my page. But really. I stumbled upon this recipe and decided I had to make it. I pretty much followed the recipe, except some of the amounts seemed off so I changed it. I also looked at the topping section of the recipe when I was making the cheesecake and ended up adding too much cinnamon to the actual cheesecake. Whatever…so it ended up being a spice cheesecake. It was still delicious.
Apple Crisp Cheesecake
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 6 tsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 8oz pkgs cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 apples, thinly sliced & peeled
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 6 tbsp. quick cooking oats
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. cold butter
- caramel ice cream topping
In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, oats and brown sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a 10-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray; set aside.
For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in the sour cream, cinnamon and ginger.
Pour over crust. Arrange apple slices over filling.
For topping, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple slices.
Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until center is almost set.
Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.
Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, remove sides of pan.
Yes- I took the directions straight from here. I did what they said and I’m too lazy to rewrite in my own words- this is not English class. Before you devour your piece, make sure you
drizzle pour that caramel over it. Enjoy!